Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Walgreens


I have been debating whether or not to shop at Walgreens this month because I have been hoping that they would figure out what they were going to do with their rebate program sooner rather than later.  Those that have been following my shopping trips know that it has been a long time since I have paid a dime at Walgreens.  I have purchased a ton of product, but have been able to work the deals so that I spent nothing out of my own pocket.  This has been, in large part, because of their rebate program.  I have a gift card filled with money from rebates that I have been rolling.  Each month I have used up all of the money on the card to cover my small OOP and at the same time purchase enough rebate items to fill it back up for the next month.  It has been amazing to see the savings and while it is a difficult system to learn and feel confident with, it has been more lucrative than any of my other couponing ventures.  That said, I called corporate customer service to find out what was going to happen to their rebate program/Easy Saver Catalog and apparently they are at the drawing boards trying to come up with a new and better way to reward loyal customers.   Anyway.  I decided today to go ahead and spend that money on my gift card.  Whew!  What a long and drawn out explanation.  I started out with $0 RR.  Here is what I did today:

Transaction 1
1 Right Guard Deodorant - $2.99 (I forgot to use the MQ that I had for this product.  Stupid, me!)

Total:  $3.14, paid for with Rebate Gift Card, so $0 OOP, Earned $2.00 RR

Transaction 2
Colgate Toothpaste - $4.49
1 Caramel - $.39 
-$1.00 MQ (Colgate)
-$2.00 RR (Right Guard)

Total Before Qs:  $4.88
Total After Qs:  $1.97, paid for with Rebate Gift Card, so $0 OOP, Earned $4.50 RR

Transaction 3
2 Pert Plus Men's Shampoo - $5.00
1 Right Guard - $2.99
2 Caramels - $.78
-$1.00 MQ (Right Guard)
-$1.50 MQ (Pert)
-$1.50 MQ (Pert)
-$4.50 RR (Colgate)

Total Before Qs:  $8.77
Total After Qs:  $.27, paid for with Rebate Gift Card, so $0 OOP, Earned $2.00 RR (Right Guard) and $2.00 RR (Pert)

Transaction 4
Colgate Toothpaste - $4.49
2 Caramels - $.78 
-$1.00 MQ (Colgate)
-$2.00 RR (Right Guard)
-$2.00 RR (Pert)

Total Before Qs:  $5.27
Total After Qs:  $.27, paid for with Rebate Gift Card, so $0 OOP, Earned $4.50 RR

Transaction 5
4 Mr. Clean Magic Erasers - $10.00
3 Febreeze Noticibles - $18.00
-$.75 MQ (Magic Eraser)
-$2.50 MQ BOGO (Magic Eraser)
-$2.50 MQ BOGO (Magic Eraser)
-$4.00 MQ (Febreeze)
-$4.00 MQ (Febreeze)
-$4.00 MQ (Febreeze)
-$4.50 RR (Colgate)

Total Before Qs:  $28.00
Total After Qs:  $6.04, paid for with Rebate Gift Card, so $0 OOP, Earned $6 RR

Transaction  6
Colgate Toothpaste - $4.49
Push Pop - $1.29 (I needed a filler and my 5 year old convinced me to get him a prize)
2 Pert Men's Shampoo - $5.00
-$1.00 MQ (Colgate)
-$1.50 MQ (Pert)
-$1.50 MQ (Pert)
-$6.00 RR (P&G)
 
Total Before Qs:  $10.78
Total After Qs:  $.78, paid for with Rebate Gift Card, so $0 OOP, Earned $2 RR (Pert), $4.50 RR (Pert)

Transaction 7
3 Febreeze Noticibles - $18
4 Mr. Clean Magic Erasers - $10
-$4.00 MQ (Febreeze)
-$4.00 MQ (Febreeze)
-$4.00 MQ (Febreeze)
-$2.50 MQ BOGO (Magic Eraser)
-$2.50 MQ BOGO (Magic Eraser)
-$4.50 RR (Colgate)
-$2.00 RR (Pert)

Total Before Qs:  $28.00
Total After Qs:  $4.73, paid for with Rebate Gift Card, so $0 OOP, Earned $6 RR

Transaction 8
4 Energizer 4pk. AA Bateries - $11.96
2 Mentos Gum - $3.58
-4 $1.00 MQ (Energizer)
-$6.00 RR (P&G)
-$1.00 RR (I have no idea how I got this and I just went ahead and used it without really looking at it.  Something in one of my previous transactions triggered it.)

Total Before Qs:  $15.54
Total After Qs:  $4.59, paid for with Rebate Gift Card, so $0 OOP 

There you have it.  I have been trying to limit myself to one drugstore and one grocery store per week and yet, sometimes it is just too hard to pass up a good deal.  Oh well.  I'm feeling pretty good that it is Tuesday and I am nearly done with my shopping for the week.  I'm hoping to be able to do some grocery shopping this evening, but we shall see.  With the DH in the middle of finals, I am tuckered out by 8pm.  Hope this helps some of you that are trying to work the Walgreens system!  GL!

2 comments:

Shanna said...

I love how you explained everything and I'm glad I happed to come across your blog. I do have one question though that no one can seem to answer.

When you do your transactions, do you do them all at once and tell the cashier you have X number of transactions? Or how does that work?

Thank you!!

Ali said...

Shanna--Thanks for visiting! I usually inform the cashier (as a courtesy) that I will be doing X number of transactions. They have never had a problem with that. I also tell them that if anyone comes in line behind me that I will finish that transaction, move to the side, and let them go before I continue. I find that if I am courteous and sweet, the cashiers are appreciative and helpful. Believe me, you want helpful and appreciative cashiers. I also try to be courteous about clearing the shelves of one product. A few months ago, I bought 27 bottles of Garnier Fructis hair products. I happened to buy almost all of them at one store because they were well stocked, but had they not been well stocked I was prepared to go to a few stores, so that the employees didn't have problems with no product on the shelf and tons of frustrated shoppers. Hope that answers your question. If not, let me know. Good luck!