Monday, May 4, 2009

For My Newbies

I taught another coupon class this weekend and after seeing Dana's comment thought I would give my newbies a plan for this week at CVS.  I will assume you don't have any coupons available to you except printables.  Here is what I would do:

Transaction 1
2 Colgate Max White Toothpaste - $5.98
Pay $5.98, Earn $4 ECB (Colgate)

Transaction 2
2 Adidas Deodorant - $7.98
2 Vitamin Water - $2.66
-$1.00 MQ Vitamin Water
-$4.00 ECB
Pay $5.64, Earn $6 ECB (Adidas)

Transaction 3
1 Adidas Deodorant - $3.99
5 Vitamin Water - $6.66
-$2.50 MQ Vitamin Water
-$6.00 ECB
Pay - $2.15, Earn $3 ECB (Adidas)

Transaction 4
3 Kellogg's Cereal - $10
2 Vitamin Water - $2.66
-$1.00 MQ Vitamin Water
-$1.00 MQ Kellogg's
-$1.00 MQ Kellogg's
-$1.00 MQ Kellogg's
-$3 ECB
Pay - $5.66, Earn $5 ECB

Transaction 5
6 Vitamin Water - $7.99
-$3.00 MQ Vitamin Water
-$5.00 ECB
Pay - $0, Earn $10 ECB

Print the Kellogg's Coupons at coupons.com if they are still available.  If not, go to the Kellogg's website and print them there (click on "Coupons - new" in the left column).  Print the Vitamin water MQ here.   I have used this MQ before and it works great.  Print up however many you need.  

So, your total OOP would be $19.43 (if my math is correct!), you would earn $10 ECB for next time and get $47.92 in product.  Not too shabby.  Keep in mind that there is a small investment initially.  After this week, you would have $10 in ECBS to roll, which if you work it right should help you to get lots of stuff for very little.  BTW--there is a free after ECB item in the advertisement, but I didn't add it to this scenario because it may appeal to only a few people and I was looking to find something everyone could do.  That free item is the Zantrex - 3 on page 17 and it's $4.99 and earns $4.99 ECBs.  If this is a product you would use, then by all means add it in and try your hand at rolling.  HTH!   If anyone sees any ways to make these transactions even better for someone with $0 ECBs and only printable MQ available, please share!!!  GL!

4 comments:

tarryn said...

Hi Ali - this is great! It is a recipe for saving money! I am going to try this. I was wondering something about the ECBs. If you have a $10 ECB, what happens if you go and buy only $7 in merchandise? Do you just lose that $3?

Thanks!!!

Ali said...

Tarryn--You lose the ECBs they will price adjust them down to the total. So, throw something worth $3 dollars in. If it is a small loss, I will usually just take the loss and have a $0 OOP. HTH

Dana said...

what is "hth"...I'm a little slow. Thanks for doing this. Your groupies really appreciate it.

Ali said...

Good question Dana! Sorry I have gotten used to using abbreviations for things.

HTH=hope this helps
TTFN= ta ta for now

I think those are the two that I use most often that are not coupon related and listed in my coupon abbreviations.