Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Finishing the Shopping for the Week


Whew!  Are you still with me?  I hope so!  It has been a busy couple of days.  I finally have enough prizes for my coupon class, now to finish that powerpoint presentation.  Hmmm...I need a healthy dose of motivation.  Anyone?  

I hit CVS because the limit on the shaving gel was 2 not 1 so I had to pick up another.  I used my ECB from the first so it was a $0 transaction and it printed another ECB for me to use next week.  YAY!!!  As for Walgreens, I wanted to pick up a few more of the rebate items so that I can fill up my gift card for next month.  I also wanted to use my $3.99 Free Softsoap Q from the sale last week.  They were priced at $4.79 so I figured I would have to pay $.80.  Can I just say that I love my Walgreens?  Without me even asking about it, my sweet manager took the full amount off.  So it WAS free!   Anyway.  Here are the nuts and bolts of how it all worked out.  I plan to take a nice day off from it all tomorrow.

CVS Transaction: 
Skintimate Shave Cream - $3.49

-$3.49 ECB

Total Before Qs:  $3.49
Total After Qs:  $0, Earned $3.49 ECB

Walgreens Transaction:
Oust Surface & Air - $2.99
Oust Surface & Air - $2.99
Easter Tumbler - $.39
Reach Floss - $2.50
Reach Toothbrush - $2.50
Softsoap Body Wash - $4.79
Glade Lasting Impression - $5.99
Vitamin Water - $1.49
Hershey Milk Chocolate Bar - $.89

-$4.79 CAT (Glade)
-$2.00 MQ (Oust)
-$4.00 MQ-I don't know what this coupon is for.  I gave her 2 Oust Qs and only one shows up.  Who knows.  
-$3.00 MQ (Reach)
-$4.00 MQ (Glade)
-$3.00 RR
-$3.50 RR

Total Before Qs:  $24.53
Total After Qs:  $.24, Paid for with rebate gift card so $o OOP.  Earned $2.50 RR, $2 Rebate for Oust, $2 Rebate for Glade L/I.  

3 comments:

Garnet said...

You're so amazing with this stuff! I have to do a class for my RS too. Is it cheating to ask for a copy of your powerpoint? I would totally give you credit! I wont copy the whole thing, I just want to get ideas and am curious to see what you're doing and how you do it. You rock A Squared!

Joshua said...

Hi! I am totally lost on how the whole Walgreens system works. Would you mind explaining?

Ali said...

Hi Amy! Welcome! Have you read my Walgreens 101? You can access it by clicking on the Walgreens 101 link under "Labels" on the right hand side of the page.

Basically Walgreens offers 3 ways to save--monthly rebates, register rewards and instant value coupons. The rebates can be purchased throughout the month and redeemed online through walgreens.com. If you request your payment on a gift card, you get an automatic 10% bonus on all rebate purchases. Register rewards are manufacturer coupons for money off your next transaction that print at the conclusion of your transaction. They are advertised in the weekly advertisement and when you purchase qualifying products a machine next to the register prints out a "catalina", or coupon. An instant value coupon is a coupon in the weekly and monthly advertisements. You don't have to clip these you just have the cashier scan the barcode on the coupon and you get money off each qualifying purchase.

Basically, you maximize your savings by utilizing all of these ways to save. I purchase rebate items throughout the month and try to make sure that I earn back as many rebate dollars as I spend on my card. When you buy Register reward generating items, use them to buy more register reward earning items and rebate items. Combine Instant Value Coupons with Manufacturer coupons and Register Rewards to again maximize your savings.

There are a couple of restrictions to remember when using Register Rewards.

1. If you use a Register reward that printed because you bought Colgate, on another Colgate item, a new register reward will not print. You have to use it on a different RR generating deal and then use that new RR on the colgate again. In that way, switching from one deal to the next, you are able to continue to use your RR on new items and roll the savings from one transaction to the next.

2. A RR is considered a manufacturer coupon and you have to have as many items that you are buying as you have manufacturer coupons. So if you are using a coupon for each item and want to use 2 RR then you must add 2 small items that are cheap in order to use the RRs and have them accepted. My little easter cups were only $.13 after IVC this week so they were the perfect "filler" so that I could use my RR to bring the total down.

This is a long explanation. Read the 101 and this explanation and feel free to ask more questions.

HTH!